The summer is an exciting time for BUMP. After working through a year-long curriculum on how to serve and love others well in an urban ministry context, we assign BUMP members a "Final Project." We ask each BUMP member to creatively express what this year of serving with BUMP has taught them and how God has been at work in their own lives. And every year it is inspiring and uplifting to hear how God is actively working to complete the good work he began in each of these young adult lives.
This year we had many creative expressions for the final projects. Mikalah, our BUMP intern for 716 Ministries, designed and printed her own pamphlet with personal pictures and thoughts on her journey with God this year. She shared openly about some of the challenges and difficulties she faced in her personal walk with Jesus and also while working with adults from very different backgrounds and life experiences. Hannah, our second placement with 716 Ministries' Work Readiness Progam this year, shared multiple poems that she had written throughout her BUMP service year, ranging from sadness and frustration as some difficult personal trials that came her way while also praising and thanking God for the ways she could see Him working in her life too.
Another one of our BUMP members decided to utilize her senior thesis from her classes at Houghton College. Kristi, a medical assistant with Jericho Road Community Health Center, provided an excellent discussion and reflection on why young adults, like herself, are perhaps less interested in long-term missions, diving into potential factors for this and how churches might discuss the issue.
A large part of our sessions during Final Projects is also taking the time to pray for each member. The group gathers around each member to ask the Holy Spirit for words of wisdom, encouragement, and specific scripture to uplift and bless each person as they are getting ready to consider what are the next steps after BUMP. These are powerful times too as the BUMP group reminds one another we are never alone in our journey, no matter where the next chapter might lead!
We are excited to share that several of our members this year have already received offers for promotions or to stay on permanently with their organizations! Josiah, our intern at Harvest House Ministries, has accepted a new full-time role in the educations department and will begin taking on his new responsibilities this fall. Caitlyn, an intern with Village Church, has endured the challenges of the virtual church this year but has decided to stay on for another year to help build up the children's and youth program for the church. And several others are considering staying in Buffalo, which is a huge praise as well! Wherever God leads each of our cohort members, we are confident that they will be a blessing to the people they are with and a light for Jesus in difficult and dark places. We are so grateful to have walked alongside this group for a year and now look forward to another cohort that will be joining us in September.
- Please pray for our current BUMP cohort as they begin to make plans for their next steps
- Please pray for future BUMP members as we are continuing to find placement sites for the next BUMP cohort starting in the Fall
Opportunities to Support BUMP
- Know someone that may be interested in serving with BUMP? We are currently accepting applications! You can find our application on our website under "Take Action."
- Know a young adult interested in living in community? We have openings in the two unique communal living spaces that we manage, one on the West Side and one in Black Rock. Please refer potential residents to firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are always open to additional BUMP ministry placement sites. Please contact us at email@example.com for more information on becoming a placement site for a BUMP member.
- We would also accept furnishing donations (i.e. couches, end tables, bookshelves) to improve the Rectory space and retreat center space or meals provided in-kind for our two annual BUMP member spiritual retreats.